Skip to content
How Do I...?

Frequently Asked Questions

Easy answers to common questions


  • How do I pay my bill?

    Please make Check or Money Order payable to HTWSA and send to our mailing address.

    You may pay in person at the Hilltown Authority Office, Monday through Friday, 8am to 4pm.

    You may also drop off your payment after hours in either of our two deposit/drop boxes; one is located in the parking lot behind the Authority office at 316 Highland Park Road, Sellersville and the other is located outside the front door of the Hilltown Township Municipal Building at 13 West Creamery Road, Hilltown.

  • What are your rates?

    Please view our billing rate tables.

  • Can my water meter over register water usage?

    Water meters cannot register usage unless water under pressure flows through them. Water meters fail by slowing down and eventually stopping.

  • I think I am being charged for more water than I am using. What should I do?

    Please contact our office at 215-453-6065 between 8am and 4pm, Monday through Friday.


  • How can I reduce my water bill?

    Water conservation starts with you and how much water you choose to use! Here are some tips to help you and your family use less water.

    You can save about 1,000 gallons a month by only running your washing machine and dishwasher when they are completely full.

    Spread mulch around the base of trees and over flower beds to prevent evaporation.

    Water plants early in the morning before the heat of the day comes.

    Turn off the water when shaving or brushing your teeth.

    Instead of rinsing off dishes before loading them into the dishwasher, scrape extra food into a garbage can.

    If you own a pool, consider covering it with a pool cover when not in use to avoid evaporation.

    As hard as it may be, try to keep showers under 10 minutes.

    Limit use of garbage disposals, which take water to run. Try composting!

    If using a sprinkler to water your lawn, position the sprinkler to only water the grass, not the sidewalk or driveway.

    One of the best ways to conserve water is replace leaking faucets and toilets. Stopping all those drops adds up to big savings on your water bill!

  • Does my water contain fluoride?

    No, HTWSA does not add fluoride to the drinking water.

  • What is the hardness of my water?

    The hardness of the water supplied by HTWSA is approximately 15.2 grains or 258 milligrams per liter (mg/l). Hard water is water having a high concentration of calcium and magnesium, which along with other minerals are often present is all natural water.

  • Why is my water cloudy?

    Air bubbles in the water cause the cloudy appearance. If the water stands for a short time, the air bubbles rise to the top and the water should clear up.

  • What do I do if I have a water leak?

    If you have a leak inside your home, you should obtain the assistance of a qualified plumber.

    If you find a soft, wet spot on your lawn, you may have a leak in the service line to your house. Please call our office so that our service personnel may come out to inspect the line. If it is determined that there is a leak on your service line, it would be your responsibility to repair since it is on your property and is owned by you

  • What is in the water that comes out of my tap?

    Our annual Consumer Confidence Report includes a comprehensive look at the various components that are contained in the water delivered to your home or business.

  • Where does my water come from?

    The water used by HTWSA is pure ground water that is extracted from the Brunswick and Lockatong rock formations and treated before it is delivered to your home or business.

  • How do you process water?

    First, the water is withdrawn from its source (the underground aquifer). Then, chlorine is added to kill any bacteria. Finally, a sequestering agent is added, which helps remove heavy metal ions from the water.

  • How much water do Hilltown Township customers use each year?

    Usage varies year to year, based on population and other conditions. Typically, our customers use 140,000 to 150,000 gallons per year.

  • What is water line flushing?

    Each spring and fall, HTWSA completes a system flushing to help maintain the water system. This involves moving water through the pipes at a high velocity to remove iron and mineral particles that have built-up in the pipes. These particles are harmless, but may affect color, odor, and taste.

    During the flushing, try to refrain from using water as you may introduce iron and mineral particles into your piping. Some items you may want to remember to turn off before flushing include water softeners and automatic icemakers.

    You may notice a discoloration during or right after flushing. Run out this discolored water with cold water only.


  • How do you treat my wastewater?

    Depending on where you live, your wastewater is treated at the Pennridge Regional Wastewater Plant (owned by PWTA) or the Highland Park Wastewater Treatment Plant (owned by HTWSA.)

  • Where does the wastewater go after it is treated?

    Treated wastewater is emptied into the East Branch of the Perkiomen Creek.

  • Is it okay to pour old cleaning products and chemicals down my drain?

    Absolutely not. Cleaning products old or new should not be emptied or flushed down any drains or toilets. These chemicals have the potential to end up in local streams and are harmful to the environment.

Hilltown Township Water and Sewer Authority

316 Highland Park Road
PO Box 365
Sellersville, PA 18960

Phone: (215) 453-6065

Monday-Friday: 8 am-4 pm